Vitreoretinal surgery is the area of complex surgical procedures on the retina and vitreous. The aim of this combined surgical intervention is to remove defected vitreous in order to prevent decrease in visual acuity related to posterior segment disorders.
Vitreoretinal surgery is one of the most prospective advanced tendencies in ophthalmology. Due to it we can improve or fully restore eyesight even in cases which were before considered beyond recovery. As vitreoretinal surgery is in the process of constant development and improvement, it very quickly adopts the most advanced methods and technologies which allow decrease the risk of postoperative complications, reduce the time of the procedure and recovery period so that he patient could return to his normal life as quickly as possible.
Vitreoretinal surgeries are performed in the following conditions:
- Diabetic proliferative retinopathy
- Exudativeage-relatedmacular degeneration
- Vitreous body destruction
- Hemophthalmia (intraocular hemorrhage)
- Post-thrombotic proliferative retinopathy
- Epimacular fibrosis
- Vitreous body defects (opacity, dislocation of the lens).
- Macular hole
- Retinal separation and hole
- Complications after cataract surgery.
One of the most performed operations of vitreoretinal surgery is vitrectomy. Vitrectomy is full or partial excision of the injured vitreous. Scar tissues are also cut and removed in an attempt to relieve the pulling on the retina.
As a rule, the operation lasts 30-90 minutes because of the severity of the condition and possible complications. Vitrectomy is performed outpatiently under general anesthesia without suturing.
After the operation the patient is strongly recommended to:
- Have follow-up visits to the eye care specialist
- Minimize visual and physical activities (it’s prohibited to lift over 5 kg)
- Avoid huge temperature swings (do not attend saunas and be careful with using hot and cold water)
- emain at bed rest for 2-3 weeks after the procedure of retinal detachment repair.
Very often vitreoretinal surgeries are performed when the vitreous properties have been changed, in patients with hemophthalmia, diabetic retinopathy, age-related maculadistrophy, retinal detachment, vascular and peripheral dystrophies of the retina. Regarding the great experience the surgery of this condition allows achieving the best results.
Benefits of Vitrectomy with the Moscow Eye Clinic
- Every patient in our clinic may take an advantage of proficiency and experience of Iljukhin Oleg Evgenievitch, a holder of Doctoral degree in medicine. Oleg Evgenievitch is a highly proficient vitreoretinal surgeon who is well-recognized among his colleagues.
- In the Moscow Eye Clinic we perform both inpatient and outpatient vitreoretinal surgeries.
- The method of performing the operation is defined on the base of the examination results, the complexity of the pathology and according to the doctor’s judgement.
The price for the main services of vitreoretinal surgeons in the Moscow Eye Clinic are affordable for many people and correspond to the average prices in Moscow. The cost of the vitreoretinal interference starts from 25, 000 rubles and depends on the volume and complexity of the surgery. You can find the prices for this procedure here.
If you have any question, you may ask our specialists with the help of a follow-up form on our web-site or call us in Moscow at +7(495)505-70-10 and +7(495)505-70-15 (daily from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.) or sent e-mail on address: firstname.lastname@example.org